Friday, September 2, 2016

Coconut Cake




This coconut cake recipe came from a cookbook that I was afforded the chance to review.  




Sweetness, Southern Recipes to Celebrate the Warmth, the Love and the Blessings of a Full Life by Christy Jordan. Being a professional baker/cake designer I love a good baking cookbook, and this one did not disappoint. I found several new recipes that I plan to test out because I've never heard of them.  You can tell Christy put a lot of time and love into this cookbook with all of the stories she includes. I don't usually care for stories in a cookbook, because recipes are why I use cookbook. However the way this cookbook is written, I can't imagine it without the stories. They go hand and hand. I love Being a fellow Southern Belle, you become enveloped in the Southern feel of this cookbook. It made me miss my grandmother and all of her southern baked treats. 

The recipe in Sweetness makes a 2 layered cake. I altered the ingredients to make 3 layers.


I also made a crumb coat and placed it in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.


The crumb coat made it easy for me to add the coconut flakes to this deliciously moist cake.


I would definitely recommend this book to any at home baker. It's great for all levels.





No comments:

Post a Comment